Whatcha Reading: July 2017

Tuesday, August 08, 2017


The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo: I'll be really honest, I had so many judgments about this book thanks to lots of reviews I had read. I fully expected to snark my way through it, but part of me held out hope that maybe, just maybe, it would help improve my situation. After living for 6 weeks in a minimalist fashion, returning to all of my crap was beyond overwhelming. I was ready to torch the house and start over. This book has helped me move past my guilt and say goodbye to those things that no longer bring me joy or serve a purpose beyond wasting space. I've only worked completely through the first category and I feel lighter. I plan on dedicating time each month to tackle a category based on some printables I found on Pinterest. If you feel like you're drowning in stuff and/or that your house is messy no matter what you do, then read this.

100 Days of Real Food: Fast and Fabulous & 100 Days of Real Food by Lisa Leake: I've been thinking a lot about what I put into mine and my children's bodies. I have been feeling this overwhelming need to take it back to basics, back to ingredients that I can actually pronounce. I've been following Lisa's blog for a few years and have tried a recipe here and there, but had never really taken the jump. I borrowed and then bought both cookbooks. I've only officially tried out one recipe, but it was filling, simple and delicious. I'll keep you posted. In general, both cookbooks have some good information to help push you towards eliminating the junk in your life. If that is something you are looking to do then I'd recommend at least checking out her blog.

The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom: It has been a long time since  I picked up a book by Albom. This book has me kicking myself for not reading everything by Albom and for waiting so long. It was my favorite kind of story in that you get the opportunity to travel alongside a character as they journey through life. In addition to that it was really such a marvelous love letter to music and the way it can change and inspire you. I cannot praise this book, especially the audiobook, enough. Please, go and give it a chance!

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid: I know everyone is crazy about this book and I can understand that. That really should have been the case for me. It's one of my favorite authors. On the surface it appears to be fluff, but packs a punch. We can follow the main character's life. I love all of those things, yet I finished the book feeling indifferent. I've been trying to pinpoint why exactly that is and I think it comes down to 3 things. First, I did not like Evelyn. I never really cared about her or what was going to happen to her. Secondly, Monique was just kind of there. I understand why, but, again, I just didn't care. Finally, some of the timeline of events just kept feeling so off to me. I can't even really explain this last issue except to say that I consistently found myself thinking, "Oh, I thought more / less time passed." I would recommend to TJR fans, but it hasn't replaced After I Do as my favorite.

A Mother's Reckoning by Sue Klebold: This is an important book, one that needed to be and one that all should read. There are a handful of times in my childhood when I found myself feeling really scared. Columbine was one of those times. This book doesn't explain why such a thing happened, because really, how could it? It was a senseless, violent act whose perpetrators and whatever answers there my be are long gone. Instead, it appeals to your very humanity and makes you examine your own family and friends. What would it be like to discover that someone you thought you knew and loved is a cold-blodded killer? What would it be like to determine that the person you though you knew battle darker demons than you could have ever imagined? Mental illness is running rampant and yet we still keep missing the signs. It's still not easy enough to know where to turn for help. This book discusses all of the above and has made me re-examine how I interact and parent my own children.

Please come and share a title that you loved this month here.

Life According to Steph

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog