Sparking Joy in My Wardrobe

Saturday, August 05, 2017


Prior to my life in stain-covered sweatpants I took great pride in attempting to dress nicely. I realized at an early age that the external way in which I presented myself to the world told a story. I wanted to tell the story that I was put together and, somewhat, on trend.

Just as fashions change, so too does the story I want to tell. I don't want the world to see the overwhelmed, tired mom I often am. I want them to see the woman who has her crap together, who manages to feed, bathe, and clothe her kids. I want them to see the woman who juggles managing her home with a day job. I want them to see the woman who has grown into her own and had figured out what she believes and what she will and will not tolerate.

I am more than those sweatpants and even though other clothing options will likely end up stained too, the joys of little kids, I want to dress up for the day. I want to put that effort into myself.

At first I had a goal to work through The Curated Closet by Anuschka Rees but then got my hands on The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I spent the month of July going through each category of my wardrobe. I had to touch everything and I went one step further to try everything on. (I know, I know, I broke the rules.) I had to pay attention to how I felt while in and handling each piece.

I got rid of quite a lot, because I had bought a lot of pieces to hide in. I thought this was the season of life when I couldn't be fashionable or wear nice things. After all, I don't work in office all that often and my kids are the only people who see me. As a result I was allowing myself to dress in a way that told a story that wasn't quite accurate.

I don't know that my wardrobe will ever be the stuff of Pinterest dreams, but I do know that from here on out I will be buying and wearing those things that make me feel good, that accurately tell the story of who I am, or at least who I'm trying to be.


When you look at your wardrobe, what do you think it says about who you are? Come and share over on Instagram.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog