July Adventures

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Photo by Brigitte Tohm on Unsplash

If you have been following along on Instagram, then you have probably seen an update or two from our six-week adventure in San Francisco. Having so many adventures in this city has made me realize a few things. 

First, I'm really good at making excuses. Getting places in SF was often time consuming and a little difficult, but we did it. I even had time during the day to work out, clean the apartment, basically all the little things that I thought made it difficult for us to leave the house in the first place. 

Secondly, I was really afraid of doing things by myself with the kids and that's stupid. For some reason I think I thought I was less capable than I am and I'm not sure why that is. My preschooler has had a meltdown in the middle of downtown SF. My baby has had a blowout without a change of clothes and a two-mile walk to get some. We've left a toy dinosaur on a street corner and ran uphill with a stroller to save him. The worst has happened. We survived. 

Finally, I'm way too cheap. I budget and save like a mad-woman and then I just hoard the money in the fear that we won't have any more. We have reached the point where we have a six-month cushion and are a year aware from student loans being a thing of the past. We can start living with a little less fear. I think I'll always be kind of cheap though. 

When we arrived in SF I sat down and made a list of all of the places I wanted to visit and the events I wanted to participate in. Every week I would sit down and plan out what was happening and when. The items on my list are more or less complete. I made it happen and I have learned to be flexible when the plan isn't going to roll out the way I envisioned. 

I want to keep having adventures. I'm not going to get super specific on here in regards to where those adventures will be and when ahead of time, because that doesn't seem responsible. I just want to declare in a public setting that I will make a conscious effort to leave my house for some sort of adventure at least 6 times a week. We may have repeat adventures, but I have loved being less of a hermit and I'm not interested in being one any longer. Please note that a Target run with my kids counts as an adventure as you never know what will happen. 

I plan on reporting back with a recap post and / or something on Instagram. I don't know how exciting it will all be for anyone but myself. but I need to hold myself accountable. I also fully intend on sharing some more about my time in SF in this space, but that is for another day.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog