Whatcha Reading?

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

2017 has been the year where I've been working on cutting myself some major slack. I'm not taking everything so seriously and it's kind of awesome! As a result, I'm not reading as much as I have been and I'm actually kind of okay with that. I've added my numerical ratings to this post, so if you want a recap as to what that means, check this out. Here's what I read so far in 2017:

What Alice Forgot by Liane MoriartyWhat Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty (5) - This book is awesome. It's well written. It's an enjoyable read. I want everyone to read it. I think what I love about it so much is the fact that it made me think about what I would be thinking and what it would be like for me if I found myself in a similar situaton to Alice. If I bonked my head and thought it was ten years ago I would probably end up in a psychiatric ward because my life has changed immensely since 2007. I literally spent a week thinking about this book. 
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle ZevinThe Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (5) - Thanks to this book I have started writing a weekly (more or less) letter to my kids. I'm not sure why more people haven't read this book! There are so many great lines about books and reading. It has characters that you can't help but love. All around it's just a great book! It may make you cry, but it's a must read for anyone who loves books. 
First Frost by Sarah Addison AllenFirst Frost by Sarah Addison Allen (4) - SAA is officially one of my ride or die authors. I will read anything she writes without a second thought from this moment on. I never really thought that Garden Spells needed a sequel, but SAA showed me the error of my ways. Now I want more with the Waverley women!

My Not So Perfect Life by Sophia KinsellaMy Not So Perfect Life by Sophia Kinsella (3.5) - I'm a big fan of Kinsella's previous books so I went into this with some pretty high expectations. It's definitely not my favorite, but it was an enjoyable read. What I love most about this book is how it serves as a great reminder that what you see on social media and what you see from observing another person's life from the outside is not always how it really is. No one has a completely charmed life. I also really like that it all wraps up so nicely. I'm a big fan of tidy endings.
Lightning by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean Koontz (4) - I always forget how much I enjoy Koontz's books. I figured out what was going on fairly early on, but there were still plenty of twists and turns along the way that surprised me. Overall, I enjoyed this book, but have to admit that I had to take some stress breaks! I'm also, still really bugged with one major thing in the ending, so if you have read this recently let me know. We need to talk!






American Girls About Town by Various AuthorsAmerican Girls About Town by Various Authors (3) - This was a collection of short stores by 17 different female authors. Of the 17 I really only loved 7, but I wouldn't say that any of those 7 are memorable enough that I would think about them again. I did, however, discover some new-to-me authors. Reading a short story collection has definitely made me want to read more in this genre.

The Mistletoe Promise by Richard Paul EvansThe Mistletoe Promise by Richard Paul Evans (2.5) - My mom LOVES RPE. Sometimes we have similar taste so I was hoping this would be one of those times. This was super cheesy and the premise was kind of weird. It would make a great Hallmark movie, if it isn't already. I like that it wasn't the typical story set in Utah, i.e. something to do with polygamy or Momonism. I also liked reading about places and food (Cafe Rio Pork Salad!) that I'm familiar with.




Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. MontgomeryAnne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery (2) - This is the first Anne book that was actually really hard for me to get through. The letter writing format was much different than the previous books, but I don't think that would have been so bad had we also had some of Gilbert's responses to Anne's overly detailed letters. If I re-read this series in the future, I may just skip this one.





Linking up with Steph and Jana

What has been your favorite read of 2017, so far?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog