What I'm Doing With My Life

Friday, September 04, 2015

Disclaimer: Passion often cause me to lose what little eloquence I may have and also results in rambling. I apologize in advance.


Choosing to not further our education was never an option for myself or my siblings. It was expected that we would graduate high school, with the best grades we could manage, and attend either a college or trade school. End of discussion.

I love learning, so this expectation wasn't a huge deal for me, except that I was never really sure how it could be a possibility financially. As far back as I can remember finances were pretty tight. My father was the casualty of several corporate takeovers. There were times when my mother was supporting our family on her own and based on what I know and the statistics from that time, we hovered over the poverty line. I'm still not sure how she and my father managed. It wasn't easy and many in our situation may have decided that college wasn't worth the investment, but that wasn't ever an option.

During my undergraduate studies I attended full-time and worked as many hours as I could get. I took out student loans, which are now being slowly paid off. I worked really hard to make sure I got good enough grades to keep my scholarship. I also had spent a ton of time researching schools and found myself at a public school in a state that has the second lowest tuition in the country.

Then I completed my graduate studies. During that time I juggled working full-time, getting married, having a child and had a spouse also go to school. Basically I'm trying to say that I understand that it can be so hard to go to school. At times you are running on fumes and you can't help but wonder if it is all going to be worth it.

I've stumbled across some posts in the blogosphere, Facebook, etc that claim that there isn't value in furthering your education and I think they couldn't be more wrong. I can bombard you with statistics and thoughts on this for days, but instead will advise you to watch the following video, especially if you are of the mindset that a degree or certification beyond a high school diploma isn't necessary.



My passion is education, specifically higher education. I will admit that there is a lot broken in our system, but there are so many people working to try to change it and change is happening. Slowly in many cases, but it is there I promise! 

If you are thinking about going to school but have been on the fence, then you should take that leap. (After you do some serious research. There are some shady schools out there.) It is something that has the potential to change your life. I feel privileged to work in the field of education and look forward to the day when I am able to become more involved in my passion.

What is your passion? Link-up with us! 

Brave Love Blog

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog