e's Bookshelf: July / August 2015

Monday, September 21, 2015

I'm constantly on the lookout for books that both Little e and I will enjoy as we strive to reach 1,000 books read before kindergarten. As of today we have read and logged 471 books read together! I have a feeling this goal is completely attainable.

Somehow I completely forgot to share the top ten list from our July reads so I have decided to combine July and August and share the top ten from the past two months.

10 fantastic books to enjoy with the little ones in your life.

Wolfie the Bunny by Ame Dyckman: I found this book to be hilarious. This bunny family adopts a wolf and the little bunny child has some major objections to the whole situation, because hello(?) it's a wolf! It shows that family can be made up of all sorts of combinations that may not seem to work at the surface.

Chalk by Bill Thomson: This is a wordless book. Now normally I'm not a fan of wordless books, but this book was so cool. These kids find some magic chalk at the playground that brings whatever they draw to life. Luckily these kids are awesome at drawing. My creations would likely look like a nightmare.

Diary of a Spider by Doreen Cronin: I hate spiders and was fully prepared to hate this book, but it turned out to be really funny and informational. Win! Maybe this book will make little e brave as far as spiders are concerned.

Miss Smith's Incredible Storybook by Michael Garland: In this book the characters inside Miss Smith's book come to life. One day the kids get control of the book and things get a little chaotic.

Fraidyzoo by Thyra Heder: I really like this book because I like how creative the family is. They create their own zoo in their living room and try to figure out why the littlest member of the family is afraid of the zoo.

Llama Llama Home with Mama by Anna Dewdney: I think I like this book so much because I'm hoping little e will take after Llama Llama's example and snuggle me when I'm not feeling well.

Cindy Moo by Lori Mortensen: Cindy Moo wants to jump over the moon but all of her friends says that it's impossible. She tries and she tries and fails a bunch along the way, until one day she actually jumps over the moon! I like that this story encourages children to keep trying. Their dreams may not play out exactly as they hope they will, but if they just keep working at it eventually they can do it!

The Bear Ate Your Sandwich by Julia Sarcone- Roach: This book is really funny, but you don't realize just how funny until you get to the end. No spoilers here! Go read it.

I Spy: A Book of Picture Riddles by Jean Marzollo: Sometimes I like to include books on this list that Tom and/or I enjoyed more than little e. We are pretty competitive with one another and may have had a date night or two with this book. Whoever found all of the items the fastest was the winner. It was actually a lot of fun, so if you're looking for a super cheap, free, date night I can't recommend this series enough!

Mix it Up by Herve Tullet: I really love interactive books. This book is awesome because it introduces kids to primary and secondary colors. It's also awesome because it is really hands on. Such a cool book that I need to own.

Have you enjoyed any children's literature lately? What should we check out?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog