Books Read: August 2015

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Books Worthy to be on my Shelves:

The Boston Girl - Anita Diamant 

I really love novels  that are set up like this was, a grandmother telling her granddaughter about her life. It's the story of a daughter of an immigrant family growing up in Boston in the early 20th century. There wasn't anything extraordinary about her tale, but I still found myself unable to put the book down. A must-read for anyone who enjoyed A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

The Royal We - Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan 

I love me some royals and am especially fascinated with the British royalty. I love the creative liberties taken with this novel. It was very clearly inspired by the real royal family, and helps to make them seem much more human. It was a fascinating, enjoyable read that I would recommend to anyone who has every daydreamed about what life would be like as a royal.

Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen

I really, really loved this book. The writing was beautiful and I loved the pinch of the magical in everyday life. My one complaint would have to be that there was quite a lot of buildup to one event that was resolved awfully quickly. I felt slightly let down by that and feel that it should have been developed a bit more. I've added everything by Allen to my TBR list, so there's that. 

Books I Would Borrow:

The Heir - Kiera Cass 

I really enjoyed The Selection trilogy and had my doubts that I would enjoy a spin-off series. Shockingly, I think I may have enjoyed this more than all of the other books! I like that there isn't a set romance in place. I like that the main character isn't completely obsessed with romance and finding "the one." I did not like how bratty the main character could be. If you enjoyed The Selection Trilogy, then this is one not to be missed!

The Thousand Dollar Tan Line - Rob Thomas & Jennifer Graham

This is a review of the audiobook. I'm so happy this was read by Kristen Bell. I have a feeling I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much as I did, had it been narrated by anyone else. There isn't anything really special about this book, but if you love Veronica Mars then you will likely enjoy this.

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han 

I think I might be getting too old for books like this. Belly was annoying and silly to me, but I bet I would have liked her and this tale had I been about 6 or more years younger. I would recommend this to a female teenager who says she doesn't like to read. I'm willing to bet she would devour this series.

What was your favorite read in August? 

Follow
Life According to Steph

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog