What I Learned from 30 Days of Yoga

Monday, July 27, 2015

I'm not really sure why but, I'm a big fan of taking on challenges for 30 days. Maybe it's because 30 days doesn't seem like a super long time? If it was 31 days, I probably couldn't handle it. I especially love physical challenges like Adriene's 30 Days of Yoga, which I just finished! 
Lessons Learned: 30 Days of Yoga
30 consistent days of yoga practice as my main workout ended up teaching me a few things about myself. Some of this is due to Adriene's style of leading yoga and some of it is due to the practice of yoga itself. 

1 | I don't like or want to be told what to do. 

I realized somewhere towards the beginning of this 30-day-stretch that I enjoyed that Adriene doesn't ever try to tell you what you should do in your workout. It's all about listening to your body and what you need in that moment. She makes suggestions to help guide, but it's ultimately your choice.

I've spent a lot of my life being the person who can't function unless you give me instructions and I followed rules to a T. That is, until I realized that I wasn't really happy. I enjoy having control over my life and I enjoy creating my own rules. Although, I still appreciate suggestions.

2 | Physical activity makes me feel powerful and comfortable in my skin.

I realizing more and more that our bodies are incredible. When you realize just how much you are capable of, you can't help but feel powerful. That realization helps me feel so much more comfortable with who I am and helps me to appreciate different aspects of myself. 

3 | I'm getting old. 

I can't do all of the things I could when I was 14. If I try, I will get injured and need to see a doctor. I may have ended up on the floor in pain a handful of times during the past 30 days. I need to realize my limitations and learn when to not push myself quite as much.

4 | I need to think less.

My brain is always on and it's stressful. I need to let my mind rest for at least 30 minutes a day. I don't have a ton of time so I think the best way to do this is to combine it with my daily exercise. 

5 | I crave variety.

As much as I have enjoyed  dedicating a month to yoga, I need variety in my workout! I think I'll be sure to dedicate at least one workout a week to yoga.

If you are looking to add more to your workouts, I would highly recommend incorporating the 30 days of Yoga with Adriene.

What does your daily workout look like? Do you switch it up daily?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog