What Beauty Means to Me

Thursday, July 02, 2015

As I have reflected on beauty and those people I find to be beautiful I notice a trend. The people I think are absolutely stunning in my day to day life aren't always the most physically attractive. In my experience a person's beauty either increases or decreases as you peel back the layers to see who that person actually is. It's all of those little quirks and traits that add to or detract from one's beauty

I feel like too many of us have this warped perception of what is actually beautiful. We spend so much time trying to get our eyebrows, clothing, and thigh gap just right. Why?  I love this quote by Rashida Jones:


I'll admit it's fun to explore different makeup and clothing trends and, let's be real, I'll probably keep on investing in it. I just think I also need to work on keeping a healthy perspective. 

I can invest in various makeup, clothes, and all of these workout plans but I need to remember to differentiate the item from the person it is associated with. Just because that fashion blogger can rock a cargo vest, it doesn't mean that I should. Just because that blogger looks amazing in a bikini 3 months after giving birth, it doesn't mean that I will. Just because so and so seems like she is happier because of x,y, or z, it doesn't actually mean that she is.

Instead of trying to be more like all of these other people, I need to celebrate me and what makes me awesome. Another great quote:


It blooms and it is just as beautiful as the flower next to it! I think the reason so many of us feel like a wilting flower instead of the beautiful flower that we actually are is due to the fact that we don't see or don't really know who we are. Or maybe we're uncomfortable with what we see. Maybe we realize our imperfection and our quirks and we're worried that being proud of those things may result negatively.

It's time for us to figure out who we are and then be proud of it. 

You do you and own it! Confidence is beautiful and with confidence you may find yourself coming out of your shell more and more. 

Those are my scattered thoughts on what beauty means to me. I'm excited to read the other bloggers thoughts on what beauty means to them. You can check them out at the linkup below.

You Are Beautiful

What makes you feel beautiful? What traits do you find beautiful in another?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog