e's Bookshelf: June 2015

Friday, July 03, 2015

Sometime last year I stumbled across the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program and decided to start keeping track of all of the books that little e and I read together. I'm discovering so many new favorites and have decided to share the top 10 books we read together each month.

In the month of June I ended up rating 35 books of the many books we read a 5/5. These books are books that I wouldn't mind reading to little e over and over again and are also books she seemed to really enjoy or that I think she would enjoy with age. She is only a year-old, so ya know. . . . 

You can view all of the other books we have read and logged so far over on Goodreads.

e's bookshelf: June 2015

Go to Sleep, Nicholas Joe by Marjorie Weinman - This is the perfect bedtime book! The pictures are typical of the time (80s) but the story is fabulous! Nicholas Joe has to go to bed, but first he has to help everyone else in the world fall asleep. He flies from place to place, finally landing at home to put his parents to be. It's just a silly story that is sure you make both you and your little one laugh.

It's a Tiger by David LaRochelle - I don't super love the illustrations, but I love the book itself! I'm learning pretty quickly that interactive stories are a must for our daily story-time. I try my best to make every book more interactive, but this one gives me a break. It's the kind of story you can read to help get the wiggles out.

Count the Monkeys by Marc Barnett - I have read so. many. books. about counting. A lot of them are really dry and kind of boring. This is my favorite counting book! It's interactive, funny and has great illustrations. I would say this is one you should buy so you can read it over and over again.

Good Boy, Fergus by David Shannon - If you have ever been a pet owner then you will probably love this book!

Life-Size Zoo by Teruyuki Komiya - If you have a little one who is interested in animals, then they will probably enjoy this book. The book is huge and the pictures are life-sized portraits. There are a ton of fun facts!

Follow the Line Throughout the House by Laura Ljungkvist - This is a great "busy book." I think a school-aged child may be able to fully enjoy it.

Dahlia by Barbara McClintock - A tomboy receives a beautiful, fancy doll from an aunt. She isn't initially pleased with the gift, worrying that she will mess the doll up and disappoint her aunt. As she enjoys and actually plays with the doll she realizes that she loves it and her aunt is delighted.

Moo! by David LaRochelle - I never realized how delightful a book with one word could be! A cow goes on quite the adventure. Be sure to read this when you're ready to be animated!

No Sleep for the Sheep by Karen Beaumont - I think the reason I love this book so much is because I can so relate to this poor little sheep! All he wants is some rest and everybody on the farm just keeps waking him up. It's a fun book to read and on a purely selfish level I'm hoping that little e and other members of our family will connect the sheep with me and let me sleep just a tad more.

Grumpy Bird by Jeremy TankardWe all have our grumpy moments, but we can choose to get over it and enjoy the day. This is a great way to discuss those feelings of grumpiness with a little one.

Are there any picture books that we should try to get our hands on this month? Have you read any of the books mentioned?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog