Books Read: June 2015

Wednesday, July 01, 2015

The months when I read books in the double digits seem to be a thing of the past. I'm hoping to double my amount read in July by making a conscious effort to listen to some more audiobooks. I spent June finishing making my way through the first five seasons of The Good Wife. I'm still reeling and slightly devastated by the sudden departure of one of my favorite characters on the show. It's funny, I didn't realize how much I was invested until that departure. Anyway, I mention that because it's an addicting show and I clearly need to make more of an effort to not watch quite as much TV in July. 

Books I loved:

The One by Kiera Cass -This was a strong conclusion to the Selection trilogy! The second book left me feeling confused and uncertain as to where we would go next. I really think this is the book that America really discovers who she is and I completely enjoyed the journey. This is a book I couldn't put down!

Books that were so-so:

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff - This book shares two different tales. One tale  is derived from the real life of Ann Eliza Young, who was Brigham Young's 19th (or 52nd depending on who you're asking) wife. She made it her life's mission to have polygamy outlawed. The second tale is an entirely fictional account of a boy who grew up in a modern-day polygamist community. His mother is currently in jail for his father's murder and he is trying to figure out whether or not she actually did it. I didn't super enjoy the modern-day tale, but I was completely fascinated by the story of Ann Eliza Young. I'm looking forward to reading more about her and the realities of that time.


The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin - This is a book that I have been hearing about for ages. I'm a big fan of creating personal projects for yourself, so I was excited to read about Gretchen's. I like the idea behind the book and I really liked how she had a main focus for each month. I don't particular feel that I learned a whole lot, but the book did leave me wanting to create a similar project for myself.


Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout - While I enjoyed reading Deity, I'm starting to have a hard time with the characters. I really like the main story-line concerning the Apollyon and the prophecies concerning that. My biggest issue is the love story, which is funny because in the first book the love story was my favorite part. That element, mainly the dialogue, is just so cheesy that I feel like I'm suddenly watching a Lifetime movie. I'll definitely read the rest of the series, because I genuinely do want to find out what happens.

What was your favorite read in June? Do you have any outstanding audiobooks to recommend?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog