What I Learned From My Stitch Fix Experience

Thursday, June 11, 2015

I used Stitch Fix three times before I decided to part ways. You can read more about that here. There is a lot that I really love about Stitch Fix, but what I love most is that it taught me a lot about myself, my style, and how to get a wardrobe that I love! 

Today, I'm sharing five things I learned from my Stitch Fix experience that may help you cultivate a wardrobe that you love. The best part is that you don't even necessarily have to use Stitch Fix!

What I Learned from Stitch Fix by Ever Emma

It's okay to splurge. . .on some of the classics.

While a V-neck is a classic, you will never convince me to spend over $15 on one. I don't like to spend a lot on much of anything, however, there are some wardrobe staples that I think it is okay to splurge on. Take my jean jacket as an example. 

In my first fix I asked for a jean jacket and what I got was so much more than just a jean jacket. It is the softest denim on the planet. It fits like a dream, is so flattering and goes with so much. I almost fainted when I realized it was $124. It is the most expensive thing in my closet, but it's well-made and I wear it a lot. I'm okay with how much I spent because I'll likely wear this jacket until I'm old and gray. 

Take pictures.

It's not enough to examine yourself in a full-length mirror, or a half mirror that becomes almost, but not quite, a full-length while standing on the toilet. (I can't be the only one who does that, right?) I cannot tell you how many times I thought I looked great in something only to discover, while looking at a picture later, that the color was off or the cut was weird. 

There are also occasions when I thought I looked ridiculous in something and later discovered that I liked how it looked all thanks to a picture. This top is a great example:

Ever Emma wearing the "Mexican Waitress" shirt

Play fashion blogger with all potential purchases so you can get a good look at yourself. 

Be Honest With Yourself.

Buy things you will wear in your real-life versus the life you hope to someday have. They say you should dress for the job you want, but I can't afford to have food and snot smeared on that kind of wardrobe. Just be realistic.

ALSO

Just because it is the current trend, it doesn't mean that you have to have it. Some trends just look stupid, like this asymmetrical sweater jacket seen on me here. Sure, that girl was rocking it on Pinterest, but she also works out 7 days a week and has a hamburger once a year. We are so not the same person. Which leads me to. . . .

Be ______. (Insert your name there.)

This took forever for me to learn. I don't have to wear heels because a magazine says I should. I can't walk in them and I prefer to not spend my days in pain. For a long time I thought I could learn to love heels, but I still don't. In fact, I gave them all away. 

Only I can decide what I am comfortable in and if I like it then why should I care that my husband thinks I look "like a Mexican waitress?" Referring to top in first picture.

If You Have to Try it on 3 Times, Leave it.

If you have to try it on more than twice then you are probably trying to convince yourself to like it, which means that you'll never actually wear it. Only purchase those things that you realize you love during the first or second try-on.

Now it's your turn! Tell me your tips for cultivating your ideal wardrobe! Tell me how you improved your fix from Stitch Fix! Tell me that I don't look like a Mexican waitress in the top above!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog