Decorating Paralysis

Friday, April 24, 2015

When we purchased and moved into our house last year my Grandmother gave me the best advice about decorating. She told me to,
"Live in the house for awhile. Get a feel for what it is and what it could be. Don't try to start decorating right away. In about a year, you'll start to know how each room should look." 
She then told me to buy a couch.  I took her advice on both accounts, purchasing this beauty last August:


Macy's Couch

Since that purchase, we haven't done a whole lot. My parents moved closer last October so we ended up with a few more pieces of furniture. While I'm grateful for those pieces, they don't quite feel like mine. In fact this house doesn't yet feel like mine, despite our one-year anniversary coming up in about a week. 

I think the issue has been that I'm suffering from decorating paralysis. Some may say that I'm indecisive, but I think the real issue is that I tend to be deliberative about everything I do. I want to consider all of my options to ensure that I make the best possible decision because I don't want to make a mistake. It's incredibly rare that I will just spontaneously do much of anything and my decorating paralysis seems to be proof of that. 

It turns out that my Grandmother's advice is correct. As crazy as it sounds I really do feel like I'm beginning to see this house for what it could be. I don't have every room figured out, but I'm starting to understand the way that I want my house to feel and how to go about creating that atmosphere. 

I plan on sharing some of my inspiration boards for the rooms I am currently working on and will likely share some of the somewhat finished results. If you're finding yourself facing your own case of decorating paralysis, the hardest part is just getting started. Once you commit to that paint color or that one piece of furniture or art, then the rest seems to start to fall into place.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog