The Books of January 2015

Monday, February 02, 2015

January felt like one of those months where I spent a lot of time reading, so I was surprised to see that I hadn't read nearly as many books as I had originally thought. Then again, I am working my way through a massive book in preparation for the final course in my M.Ed. program! Woohoo! Yes, I read the books before the class actually starts. It's actually super helpful. I am more than over this program. Due to life I have been pursuing this degree for over three years so a victory dance will most certainly happen upon completion. 

Let's talk about the books I actually finished in January: 
The Books of January 2015

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley - 3 Stars


This novel reminded me so much of Sherlock Holmes, which in my case is a bad thing. I took a course devoted to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and quickly discovered that I don't enjoy his writing in the slightest. That was a long semester. 

Luckily, I enjoyed Bradley's writing style a bit more than Doyle's. I was surprised to discover that Bradley was a first-time author in his sixties! I really love that the eleven-year-old protagonist in this novel is often left to her own devices to learn and explore. I especially love the author's thoughts on children today and will more than likely discuss that in a future post. 

Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard -  4 Stars


I was surprised by how much I learned while reading this memoir! Learning about how the French view and approach their food made me think about my own relationship with food. It also made me think more about my spending habits concerning food. I think there may actually be a future post there! 

Chasing Yesterday by Rachel Ann Nunes - DNF


This book ignited all kinds of feelings and made me think more about my spirituality and what it is that I believe. Technically speaking I didn't finish this book and I didn't like what I did read. 

As I have taken a step back to evaluate my beliefs I have discovered many things that bother me about myself and this book contains the perfect example of a trait I am working to overcome. A discussion for another day.

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson - 4 Stars


I started this trilogy way back in 2011 and was always hesitant to pick up the next two books because of their length. Luckily, this year I'm focusing less on the number of books read and more on the quality and diversity of books read. 

These books are long, but very good. Don't be afraid to pick them up! I wasn't too surprised by the ending, but enjoyed it anyway. Sanderson remains one of my favorite authors of Fantasy.  

What did you read in January? 

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Thanks for some new book ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about lunch in paris - i agree, it made me think about food and purchases but thats where it ended and i didn't really implement anything I learned lol, so i'd be interested to hear what you've done / thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Alan Bradley on my list of books to read, so I'm glad to hear you liked Sweetness. I've only read one of Doyle's Sherlock stories and I enjoyed it, so hopefully that means I'll really like the mystery element in Bradley's books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, and all the other books in that series. I just love Flavia to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed some new book picks, and I can't wait to check these out! I am very interested in your Lunch in Paris take- looking forward to that post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I'm intrigued by Lunch in Paris. And good luck on your final course for your master's!! That's so exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely think that if you have enjoyed any of the Sherlock stories then you will like Sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved Flavia as well. She has spunk and is definitely a memorable character!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Megan! I can hardly wait to be finished, forever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lunch in Paris sounds like the perfect book for me. I'm trying so hard to get back into reading, and a story with recipes might be just what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been looking at Lunch in Paris. Thanks for your review! Now I'm even more intrigued. :)

    ReplyDelete

Paperblog