The Only Fish in the Sea For Me (Guest Post)

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

I hope you had a relaxing weekend with your loved ones. Last week we read about an online dating experience that wasn't so sweet and now we're lucky enough to read about a relationship that blossomed from online dating. 

Stories like this make me really wish my younger, single, sister would give online dating a chance! *Looking at you Hannah!*

Big thanks to Morgan at The Flame Dame for sharing her story! I'm definitely rooting for you and Jake!

The Only Fish in the Sea for Me: How I Met My Boyfriend on a Dating Site by The Flame Dame

A few weeks after arriving home from Air Force training, I had decided it was time for me to “get back out there” and start dating again. My previous relationship had ended before training, as we had both realized we just weren’t meant to be together. With most of my friends away at school and with much older coworkers, my only option for meeting anyone was to try online dating. Having never tried it before, I tried to have an open mind and created a profile on Plenty of Fish.

After speaking to and even meeting a few guys, I slowly began to realize that there were more duds than keepers in the online dating scene, and so I had decided to give up, and delete my account. Moments before doing so, however, I scrolled upon a profile that caught my eye – a picture of a handsome young man with the tagline, “I enjoy TED Talks, long walks on the beach, and if being a career learner was a thing, I’d do it.” There was something silly and sweet about it that made me send him a message, in which I shared my love for TED Talks as well as learning. He replied right away, and we began to chat everyday. I learned he was a cocky, yet charming sailor who was stationed in San Diego and had just gotten back from his latest deployment.

After exchanging phone numbers and speaking on the phone, we both agreed we wanted to meet and have our first date, deciding to meet at his base bowling alley, making a fun competition out of it – the loser would have to buy the winner lunch. Needless to say, it was the best first date I’d ever had! He beat me at bowling – a first, he claimed – and we enjoyed slices of pizza as we discussed books, movies and tattoos. Afterwards, we played a few games at the arcade, and bonded over our love of AC/DC. At the end of the date, he walked me to my car where he kissed me, and said he’d text me once I got off of work later that evening. True to his word, I checked my phone after my shift to see that he had invited me to go to a movie that night – our second date!

After that night, we saw each other every day we could, texting or calling each other when we couldn't. Eventually he asked me to be his girlfriend, and a few months after that we decided to sign a lease and move in together, and it’s been wonderful every step of the way!

Our transition from talking and flirting online to doing so in the real world was seamless – it simply came naturally. Many of our friends and family voiced their concerns over how fast we were moving, but after meeting each other’s families in early January, we knew that we were serious. I can’t say that this transition comes so easily for others, but Jake and I so grateful that we can truly be 100% comfortable with each other. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I really love that you mention that your relationship came naturally. I really think that is what differentiates lasting relationships from those that are short-lived. Every relationship that I felt like I needed to try so hard in, ended, usually in disaster. The only relationship that ever felt natural is the relationship I have had with my husband. It just works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww this is so sweet! And it gives me hope! I've been trying online dating myself and it hasn't been successful so far. But the right person will be worth the wait. So glad you found that person, Morgan! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Paperblog