Letter To My Early Blogging Self

Wednesday, January 21, 2015


Dearest 2011 Emma, 
Congratulations on embarking on the greatest creative outlet you will ever find! This little blog you have created is going to change a lot over the next couple of years. There are going to be a lot of late nights and lots of frustration, but, this is going to be something that you won't be able to quit for quite some time. In an effort to help you navigate the overwhelming, confusing waters of blogging I wanted to let you in on a few secrets. 

1 | Learn how to code!
I'm not saying that you have to be amazing, but you do need to learn some coding if you want to be able to customize your little corner of the web without shelling out lots of money. Appearances are everything, my friend. You'll teach yourself a lot by Googling everything and anything. The best advice I can give you is to get your butt over to Codecademy and learn how to do things the right way. 

2 | Blogging shouldn't be a solo sport.
This is something I am just barely learning 4 years into the journey. I know your Myers-Briggs confirms that you're a hardcore introvert, but it's going to get awfully lonely / boring if you don't put yourself out there. You're going to hear a lot about how many people love the blogging community. You can love it too!

Don't be discouraged by the blogging cliques. They exist and they suck. Guess what though? You are a big girl and you can rise above it. Kill 'em with kindness. 

3 | Do your own thing.
Some bloggers have millions of followers. Some bloggers make lots of money. Some bloggers get lots of free things. Who cares? You define what will constitute your success and you decide the path you will take to get there.

4 | Don't pigeonhole yourself.
Everyone will tell you that it is important to find a niche. I think a niche can help provide direction, but you need to be careful to not focus your niche too specifically. You, like most people, are passionate about a ton of different subjects. Use that.

My favorite "niche" is lifestyle because it can be a much more accurate reflection of who you are and allows you to consistently learn and grow in multiple ways.

You will make the mistake of focusing too specifically on a niche and it will lead to you hating blogging for a few months. Hate to say I told you so.

5 | Own it. 
Consistently produce content that you are proud of. This isn't some dumb hobby and you shouldn't ever feel embarrassed about your blog.

I'm just now starting to own it. I really like blogging. I'm not sure that I'll ever want to make this a career because I already, sort of, have one of those, but this is likely to be a major part of my life for many years to come.

Sincerely,




You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Very nice post! I agree about the niche part. I was a book blogger for over four years and it really burned me out, so I changed it up and would consider myself a lifestyle blogger now. It's so much better and more freeing! I can write whatever I feel like now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, blogging cliques. We are not in high school anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this. I did not know about code academy but I am going to go check it out right now. Did you do your own blog design?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharlee, I actually purchased and then tweaked my current blog design. I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to coding, especially CSS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about finding a "niche". The reason I created my blog was to write what I wanted. And that's just what I'm going to do. My post for next Monday is actually going to be about leaving a niche and "debranding" your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate the whole "niche" blogging thing. I don't want a niche! Although if I must have one I suppose lifestyle is the way to go - that way I can talk about anything ;-) I tend to get shoved in the "expat" box though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha My thoughts exactly! I would definitely prefer to talk about anything I want!

    ReplyDelete

Paperblog