Before You Hit Publish Part II

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Welcome to the final part of the posting checklist. Hopefully you have or will learn something new. If not then I hope you have at least added another tool to your blogging toolkit!

Blogger - Search Description / Wordpress - Keywords

Help search engines find you! The search description and keywords / meta description should contain the same words found in your title. Read more about how to set up and use the search description in Blogger here. For tips on constructing a great Meta or Search description check out this post.

Blogger - Label / Wordpress - Category

Don't go overboard here. You should already have in place a few categories or labels for your blog. This helps your blog stay organized and makes it easier for your readers to find what they are looking for.

Headings / Subheadings / Minor Headings

Using these properly can better your SEO. You can learn more about this and why it is important on Codecademy, but first make sure you are optimizing your blog titles.

Post Length = 300 - 500 Words

This is my rule of thumb. There is some data that suggests posts should be about 1,000 words as that can provide more opportunity for search engines to find you. You can read more about that here. I, personally find myself unsubscribing if a blogger frequently writes long posts or posts photo albums with only a few sentences.

Your readers don't have time to read a novel. If you are going to go over 500 words then you should consider breaking the post up into multiple parts. It's a win-win for everyone! On the other hand, when your post is too short then it's harder for your readers to relate.

Skimmable Paragraphs

Most people only have the time to skim whatever you write, so get to the point quickly. This also goes back to using headings. When your post is formatted well then it will be easier to skim.

Simple Wording

This isn't the place to show off your impressive vocabulary. If a simple word will convey the same point, then use that word. Your readers will thank you. 

Engage Readers

This is something that I need to work on. Typically I try to include a question at the very end of the post, but I want my readers to be engaged and responding throughout the post! What do you do to engage your readers throughout the entire post?

Read Post Out Loud

You are likely to catch any errors or awkward sentences when you take a moment to read your post out loud.

Double-check Spelling & Grammar

You don't have to be perfect at this. Even major companies make mistakes. Please at least know the difference between to, too, and two. My favorite resource, besides using Google for spell-check, is Grammar Girl.


A Post Publishing Checklist by EverEmma

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. This was an excellent pair of posts. I think it is always good to remind yourself about this things. I'm still trying to increase my SEO so I'll take some of these advice. I didn't know adding title and subtitles could be relevant to this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Valeria! I'm glad I could help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I just learned how to turn on my search description recently; thanks for reminding me I need to be adding the individual post descriptions when I write. :)

    ReplyDelete

Paperblog