1 Year Down: 4 Lessons Learned

Monday, January 05, 2015

Happy Monday! I'm excited to welcome Kate from Style&Things. Kate just celebrated her first blogiversary! Congrats! Here's to many more blogging years! Kate has learned a lot over the past 365ish days and is kind enough to highlight four of those blogging lessons. 
Hey guys! Kate here from Style&Things Blog//a life, style, and lifestyle blog.

A little background: I started Style&Things in December 2013, and after blogging for just over a year, I've learned a few things along the way that I'd like to pass on to you! Although I have so much more to learn, here are the four things I wish I would've known from the beginning.


Over time you will change and so will your blog. Don't be afraid to switch gears.
When I started Style&Things, it was supposed to be a fashion blog. However, as I put more thought into each post, I decided that I enjoyed blogging about health, home, personal style, travel, etc. just as much as fashion. Now, after changing my blog's voice, I feel like I fit into the right niche. Luckily, I picked a blog name that was versatile enough to handle the change. If you think you may change the conversation over time, try to choose a name for your blog that isn't too specific.

Use social media only when you're ready.
I have a pretty clear vision on my personal Instagram so when I started my blog account I thought, "This will be a breeze. I'm an Instagram master." Wow, was I wrong! My blog account was a mess, and I went back and forth about it for weeks. I ended up closing the account (asking my followers to visit my personal account instead). To avoid this mess, only open a blog-specific account when you have a solid plan for it; right down to the filters applied and jargon used in your captions.

In the meantime...
Join blog-friendly networks such as Bloglovin' and Pinterest. Also, find blogs where you can "link up" and gain traffic from their sites. (That's how I found Emma!) Next up, it's worth it to put social media buttons on your site. Find free ones on Pinterest and look on YouTube to find a tutorial on how to apply them to your blog. It's quick and painless and, bonus, you don't need any coding experience.

Don't expect to be inspired 24/7.
This is something that surprised me. Since I'm a creative person, I often find myself inspired. However, we all go through times where inspiration seems like it's at an all-time low, and that's okay! For me, I find inspiration by exploring new places. Work to find what gets your brain going and do that as much as you can to come up with fresh ideas. With that being said, write like you speak, and write about what you want. That love for whatever you're writing about will come through to your readers.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog