Relationship Lessons Learned From Landline

Monday, December 08, 2014



Tomorrow I'm going to be sharing some of my favorite new-to-me authors but I thought I should just let you know now that, *spoiler alert*, Rainbow Rowell is hands-down my favorite new-to-me author of the year. I have read all four of her published books in the last year (Eleanor & Park, Attachments, Fangirl & Landline) and I cannot stop recommending them to just about everyone I meet. If you haven't read these books then you are doing yourself a major disservice!

I ended up reading the majority of Landline in one sitting and it was definitely worth the lack of sleep. This book felt so much more complex and grown-up than Rowell's previous novels. I found myself thinking a lot about the various relationships we have in our lives and gathered a few important lessons.

1 | It is really hard for guys and girls to be just friends.

A couple of years ago, if you would have asked me if I thought guys and girls could be just friends I would have emphatically answered, "Of course!" I still think it can be possible, but it isn't nearly as simple as I had once thought.

I really appreciated that this topic is explored in Landline. Georgie McCool has been best friends with Seth  since college. Initially Georgie had some major feels for Seth and everyone predicted that they would end up together. Instead, Georgie marries Neal and remains best friends with Seth. It's all very complicated, but it made me realize just how hard it can be to be just friends.

2| A good marriage/relationship is hard work.

There are some who like to pretend that their marriage/relationship is complete bliss, full of butterflies and rainbows. I'm not buying it, but it can really seem that way to those who are on the outside looking in. Most of us, bloggers especially, are great at painting the picture we want others to see. You better believe that those people have disagreements and one of them is messier than the other. It can be really hard, especially in those first few years, to mesh together.
"Nobody's lives just fit together. Fitting together is something you work at. It's something you make happen - because you love each other."
 Georgie and Neal are broken from the first time we meet them, but thanks to a magic telephone they start to realize where they went wrong.

3| Sometimes we lose sight of the relationship we have with ourselves.

I feel like this is a major issue, especially for women. We spend so much time trying to take care of everyone and everything that we completely forget about ourselves. We forget about what makes us really excited and what makes us tick. I loved when Georgie had the following revelation,
"While Neal had come into focus over the years. . .Georgie had lost her own reflection in the mirror."
Georgie was so consumed by her work and trying to balance that with everything else that she lost sight of herself. You need to have something for just you at least once a week.

4| We tend take the people we love the most for granted.

We all do it. These are the people who are always there for you no matter what. These are the people who see every side of who you are as a person. They're around so much that you can't help but forget that they could leave or something could happen so that they are no longer in your life. 

Georgie begins to realize just how much she took Neal for granted when he leaves for Nebraska and doesn't speak to her for a few days. In his absence she realizes her mistakes, but is her realization a little too late?

5| You can't always wait for other people to make the first move.

This is something I definitely need to work on. You can't spend your whole life waiting for everyone else to make a move or to take action. Sometimes you need to muster up some courage and do it already!

Georgie spends so much of the novel wondering about everyone else and what they are going to do that she fails to see that she is just as capable of taking action, of making a grand gesture! If you spend your time waiting for everyone else 

Overall

Landline is a great novel that will leave you with a lot to think about concerning the relationships in your life.


You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Found you via the Semi-Charmed reading challenge.
    This book sounds so good! I'm adding it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great book! You should also just go ahead and add everything else Rainbow Rowell has written. She has quickly become one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Landline yet, but I love your creative take on writing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Leah! I'm hoping that my spin will excite others enough that they may actually read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely going to be adding this one to my list of to-read books! Thanks for the great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! You'll have to shoot me a message when you read it to let me know what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not going to lie; I was really disappointed in this book. And Fangirl. :( But I've heard I should try Eleanor & Park next because it is REALLY good. I hope it is! I do love the way you pulled these lessons out of the book, though; great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked Fangirl, minus the fanfic bits, and was just so-so with Eleanor and Park. I think Attachments is my favorite out of all of Rowell's work. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Paperblog