How I Make Time For Reading

Friday, December 12, 2014

Whenever someone tells me that they haven't read a single book this year because they are way too busy, my heart breaks a little. I know we are always on the go, but there is always time to lose yourself for a few minutes in a great book! This is especially true if you have seen a lot of TV / Movies, but have yet to pick up a book. Today I'm sharing some of the ways I find time to read.

How to find time to read.

Take advantage of technology.

Books are now available in several different formats. No longer do you have to lug around a physical book everywhere you go. My Kindle Paperwhite is light and small and fits into every bag I carry, however, I love the Kindle app because it allows me to read from my phone. I go everywhere with my phone, so if I find myself with a little extra time I can read a book.

Maybe you find yourself driving kids place to place. If you are driving a lot then pop in an audiobook! Obviously you should also socialize with your kids, but if you are listening to a book together then you can talk about it!

Take advantage of your local library.

Libraries these days are pretty awesome. A decent amount have access to an online library known as Overdrive. Overdrive is stocked full of great eBooks and audiobooks! The best part is that you don't even need to leave your home to check one out!

Get to know your library better and see what services they provide. I think you would be surprised by just how much your library offers. 

If you can, make a set time for reading.

I read this once in Oprah's magazine, so you know it's legit, reading a book before bed actually helps you to fall asleep faster and sleep better. The bright lights coming off of your phone / tablet / computer / TV trigger something in your brain to make you think that it's still daytime. Do yourself a favor and turn off  / don't look at any of those for at least 30 minutes before you want to fall asleep. Personally, I like to spend those 30 minutes reading. 

If right before bed won't work then pick a time that will. Even just 10 minutes a day will get you through a book. . . eventually. 

If you have kids, read with them!

This may mean that you don't necessarily read something that you really want to read, but you're still reading and that is what really matters! You're also helping your kids learn to love reading and you're helping them create a fabulous habit.

My little one is just barely over a year. Most of the time she doesn't seem like she is paying attention when I read to her, but I have caught her "reading" books to herself. This indicates to me that she may be getting more out of me reading to her than I had originally thought.

If you need some suggestions, Rebecca from A Book Long Enough put together a great list of fabulous picture books that were released in 2014.

Find a book that interests you.

Maybe the issue is that you are in a reading slump due to reading a bunch of books that just weren't the right fit. Reading slumps make it really hard to even want to find time to read. I promise you that there are at least 10 books out there that you will connect with and love. If you aren't yet on Goodreads then you should probably sign up. Goodreads is social media for readers. You can connect with readers with similar tastes to discover new books. Goodreads also tries to provide recommendations based on what you are reading and have liked in the past. Prior to Goodreads, my to-read list was practically nonexistent. Nowadays my to-read list is massive and growing every single day! 

Send me a friend request if you are on Goodreads so that my to-read list has even more suggestions!

I really hope you have a sudden increased desire to pick up a reading habit. It's one of my very favorite things to do. If you give it a chance, I'm willing you bet that you will learn to love it too!

Linking up with Amanda for Friday FavoritesLauren for High Five for FridayKarli, and Amy for Oh Hey FridayDarciApril, Christina and Natasha for FIVE on FridayClare for Five Things Friday

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. Good reads is dangerous! My to-read list keeps growing and growing.

    I mostly read on the train home from work (on the way there I confess I prefer sleeping!). I used to read in bed, but these days I usually get to bed too late for that. My boyfriend and I like to read allowed to each other though, and we usually do that in bed. I can't remember the last time we did though... maybe a month ago?

    Also, I don't even have kids but I still clicked on the link for the picture books. I buy them for my friends' children and always end up reading them myself first :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! We read to my daughter probably an hour a day or more. She loves books. And yes, not enough people utilize the library! We love books on tape. Makes my commute a bit more bearable.
    Have a great weekend Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these tips! Reading is such much fun, but hard to always make time for! I sometimes need to carve out time for it.
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Reading is so very important, and I'm not just saying that because I'm an English teacher. My son is only 5.5 months old, but we've been reading to him for months already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh so agree about goodreads! i love it. i find so many new books and its so great to be able to keep track of them all. i'm never without anything to read now! i feel the same when people say they are too busy. they just don't want to - and that is so unbelievably ridiculously FINE. not everyone has to read and love it - just don't say you're too busy for it ;) i listen to audiobooks and read on my kindle and a 'real' book, so at all times i am reading 3 books lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to read! I agree, usually if I say I haven't had time it's because I have not made time. I have chosen tv or blogging or whatever else instead and usually regretted it.

    Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you read so much to your daughter! I've been trying to read to my daughter on daily basis as well and it makes me so happy to see her choose to entertain herself with a book instead of a toy.


    I'm always shocked to find people who don't ever go to the library. Technically you're already paying for it so you might as well use it!


    Yes, audiobooks were a must for me when I commuted. I found myself much more calm during rush hour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do it! Sometimes to get back in the swing of things it helps to read a book at the same time as someone else, so you can fangirl or hate the book together! I'm always down for a read-along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree! I've been reading to my little girl for a long time and it's so exciting to see her own love of books developing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha I do that every so often too. I have a short attention span anyway so it's nice to jump from book to book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's usually how it is for me as well, especially with blogging. It's easy to lose track of time when you're lost in blog-land! I've been trying to be a little bit more aware but sometimes that is easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just realised I wrote "allowed" instead of "aloud" in my comment. Ugh. You knew what I meant though, right? ;-) My boyfriend is really good at doing different voices for different characters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome post; I love this! And yes, I agree that anyone who "doesn't have time" for reading is probably doing plenty of other things they don't need to do (e.g. watching TV), so that's not an excuse. It's more like they're just not interested in reading. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. No worries. I judged you for only a half a second. ;) That's awesome! I think my husband would be good at it, but he gets all embarrassed. It's silly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Exactly! I don't think I'll ever fully understand those people.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think when people say they don't have time to read, what they're really saying is that they prioritize other things before reading. Which is fine. Everyone has different interests. If reading is important to you, you'll find time to do it. However, I DON'T want to hear "I don't have time to read" from people who spend all evening on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is so dangerous! I've started to occasionally go back through to weed out some of the books I'm no longer interested, but the sheer volume of the list is intimidating!


    haha I don't blame you. I love / need my sleep! My husband and I read to each other on long car rides. Although, it's mainly me reading to him. He makes all of the characters sound exactly the same and it's way too confusing.


    I read children's books all the time before having little e. I always felt a little strange in the kid's section, but there are some really great books in there! We shouldn't have to miss out just because we're technically all grown up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Paperblog