5 Fantastic Authors I Read in 2014

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

5 New-to-me Authors

This was a fantastic year of reading for me, mainly because I found myself discovering new authors that I loved and can't get enough of. My auto-buy list is expanding! If you are in a reading slump I would suggest you check out any of the five authors that I'm excited to read more from in the upcoming year. 

1| Rainbow Rowell

Rainbow Rowell
Saying that I have been obsessed with Rowell's work is a major understatement. This time last year I had no idea who she was an now she is on my auto-buy list. It's funny because I actually almost didn't read Eleanor and Park. For whatever reason it didn't sound appealing to me. Upon reading Eleanor and Park and then Fangirl, Attachments and Landline, I have discovered that what I love most about Rowell's writing is that she has a wonderful way with words. I swear half of my "liked" quotes on Goodreads are Rowell's!

2| Jojo Moyes

Jojo Moyes
I had seen Me Before You on literally every blog I follow prior to finally picking it up myself. This book is so worth all of the hype. Very rarely do you find characters that you are sad to say goodbye to. When I finished Me Before You I found myself in a funk for days. Luckily, Moyes has written several other books so I could turn to one of them to cope (One Plus One). What I love about Moyes is that she continues to create memorable characters that somehow find a way to become entwined in your very being.

3| Gayle Forman

Gayle Forman
If you want a book to really connect with then Gayle is your gal. She has such a way of writing that you can't help but see your own reflection in her characters. In If I Stay I felt as if I were the one who had this enormous life or death decision to make, but I really saw myself among the pages of Just One Day. That book made my heart ache because it is the ultimate coming-of-age tale. If you have reached your mid-twenties without feeling the kind of heartbreak Allyson experiences then you can at least get a glimpse.

4| Gillian Flynn

Gillian Flynn
I have only read Gone Girl, thus far, but I already know from that book alone that Flynn is incredibly good at keeping you reading even when you despise the characters. I can honestly say that this is the only book I have ever read where I hated everyone, actually finished the book and then rated it 5 stars on Goodreads. It is one twisty tale and I can hardly wait to read some more of Flynn's work in the coming year!

5| Rae Carson

Rae Carson
I didn't read a lot of fantasy this year and think that may have something to do with Rae Carson.She spoiled me! What I typically hate about fantasy is that it seems takes an author about a hundred pages just to set the scene. Carson was great at weaving in details throughout The Girl of Fire and Thorns, so I never once felt overwhelmed by detail. I really need to read the rest of the Fire and Thorns trilogy this year!

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I absolutely adored If I Stay. I have yet to read the sequel but I really want to.

    I've never read any Jojo Moyes, but The One Plus One is waiting on my bookshelf. It was a birthday present that I haven't got round to reading yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sequel wasn't half bad! Although, my favorite is definitely Just One Day. It's such a great book!


    You should read it! I'm really looking forward to reading everything she has written. I may just binge on it all at some point in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great Authors! Thanks for sharing your list!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. JoJo Moyes--YES! She is amazing! I've only read Me Before You and then I read The Girl You Left Behind. It's wonderful. Definitely check that one out if you get a chance!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jojo Moyes was definitely a standout for me this year too! Me Before You and One Plus One are the only two I've read so far, but I loved them both and can't wait to read some of her other books! I liked Gone Girl but actually liked Sharp Objects a little bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Girl You Left Behind is on my list! Part of me wants to binge on everything she has written, but then I get so sad thinking about how I'll then have to wait for a new book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Sharp Objects on my TBR list, but hadn't actually come across anyone who had read it! I'm happy to hear that it is so good! Hopefully I'll read it in 2015!

    ReplyDelete

Paperblog