5 Children's Books in Our Christmas Countdown

Friday, December 05, 2014


My main theme for the month of December is books. See more about that here

My husband and I both love to read and I'm working really hard to instill a love of reading in our little girl. We are doing several things to countdown to Christmas, one of which is reading at least one Christmas-related book a day. 

I began my preparation last month and have already discovered some new favorites that the children in your lives may also enjoy. Please keep in mind that my child is just barely over a year so some of these suggestions may not be the most exciting for older children. 


1| Here Comes Santa Cat by Deborah Underwood

I definitely loved this book way more than little E. It's a funny little tale about a cat who has decided to give himself presents for Christmas, because he was too naughty for Santa this year. He tries to quickly redeem himself, but is it too late? 

This illustrations and the words go together rather well and create a funny story for all to enjoy. I would probably recommend this to anyone over the age of three and that includes grownups! 

2| A Creature Was Stirring by Carter Goodrich

I love the very familiar poem, "A Visit from St. Nicholas." You know the one. . ."Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house. . . ." This book shares bits of that poem on one page and on the other page we get to read the story of one little boy's night before Christmas. 

The illustrations are beautiful and it's such a clever idea for a story. I think this would fall into the same age-range as Here Comes Santa Cat.

3| My First Christmas by Tomie dePaola

I discovered Tomie dePaola's books earlier this year and I love them! Each one is simple, with simple illustrations that little E can enjoy. This particular book introduces children to Christmas and all of the many traditions that so many of us have. 

4| Duck & Goose It's Time for Christmas by Tad Hills

This is another simple book for the younger crowd. I love that it provides you with the opportunity to talk a with your child about all of the fun things you can do during the winter and then it eases into introducing Christmas. I may start our Christmas countdown with this book next year.

5| Clifford's First Christmas by Norman Bridwell

I love Clifford and I think when children fall in love with a particular character it can make them that much more willing to pick up a book. This is a simple tale with your typical Clifford illustrations. It was a little bit on the longer side for little E, but I have a feeling that she would probably like it next year.

Linking up with Amanda for Friday FavoritesLauren for High Five for FridayKarli, and Amy for Oh Hey FridayDarciApril, Christina and Natasha for FIVE on FridayClare for Five Things Friday;  Sarah for Fan Friday

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I always loved the Jan Brett Christmas books when I was a kid- if you haven't heard of them you should check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of those before, so I'll see if my local library has some. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've added Santa cat to my Amazon wishlist for when I have kids (yes, I already have a wishlist for my children that aren't even conceived yet!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I started collecting books for my future children ages ago. I just hope they enjoy the same books I do!

    ReplyDelete

Paperblog