5 Audiobooks That Will Keep Your Attention

Tuesday, December 02, 2014

I was incredibly surprised to discover that I have listened to zero audiobooks this year! Once upon a time, when I was commuting an hour and a half on a daily basis, audiobooks kept me sane and productive. I will be the first to admit that audiobooks can either be really, really good or downright awful. If you want to venture into audiobooks here are five that will actually keep your attention:


1| Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling: Read by Jim Dale

I love listening to Jim Dale, period. As soon as I hear his voice I get warm fuzzies and the sudden desire to pay attention. The Stephen Fry version isn't half bad either, but there is just something about Jim Dale. This is an example of an audiobook done right!

2| Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? By Mindy Kaling: Read by Mindy Kaling

I'm quickly learning that humor can be lost in translation. I once read Tina Fey's book, Bossypants, and hated it, but I'm willing to bet that if I had listened to Tina read her book I would have found it to be hilarious/delightful. It would be funny because she is the one who wrote the book and she knows where all the punchlines are. I bet if I had read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?  I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much as I did. Since I listened to the audiobook, I now feel like Mindy Kaling and I could be/are friends.

3| Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot: Read by Justine Eyre

This book is all kinds of entertaining and it actually wasn't half bad to listen to! It isn't hard to follow, has bouts of humor and a splash or two of romance. It was like a good chick-flick for my ears.

4| Across the Universe by Beth Ravis: Read by Lauren Ambrose

I haven't read the rest of the books in this trilogy, mainly because Across the Universe was super intense and I'm just not ready for that to continue. This will make you pay attention, because you will have no clue what will happen next. This book is all over the place in a good way.

5| Seriously. . .I'm Kidding by Ellen Degeneres: Read by Ellen Degeneres

This was a dumb book, but was so funny to listen to. If you keep me laughing, then I will probably pay attention.

What is your favorite audiobook?

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Oh, I bet listening to Ellen is hilarious! And I love Jim Dale, so I know I'd like those HP audios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't love Kaling's book (nor Bossypants) but Across the Universe rocked my world too :-)

    Tanya Patrice
    GIrlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is exactly what I need since I recently wrote an entire post about how I have the worst trouble paying attention to audiobooks! The Mindy Kaling is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think Bossypants was that great in print either. I did listen to a few chapters on audio and it was a LOT better.

    That Ellen book is hilarious. My daughter and I listened to in the car, and it was so fun because Ellen is such a nut.

    My audiobook reading has been low this year (I just finished my first one a few weeks ago), so I really appreciated this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love funny books, but I don't seem to read them as much. Maybe I should try them out as audiobooks. I think you are right by saying funny sometimes get lost in translation. The tone is so important. Maybe audiobooks are indeed the best way to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hilarious! I'm glad I wasn't listening to her audiobook in public because I really could not control my laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I was pleasantly surprised by Across the Universe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It can be really hard to find an audiobook that will keep your attention! I hope you listen to it soon and laugh throughout the entirety!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hearing people read their own memoirs. Bossypants and Yes Please are fantastic on audio, and although I didn't love Mindy Kaling's book, I probably liked hearing her read it better than I would have liked reading it.


    And of course I have all the love for Jim Dale's Harry Potter narration :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think maybe I'll try to listen to Bossypants this year. I think Tina Fey is so funny and it bugs me that I didn't love her book.


    Ellen totally is a nut! That book had no rhyme or reason, but was so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely think audiobooks are the way to go to fully appreciate and enjoy funny books, yet I keep trying to read them. I just checked out Yes Please by Amy Poehler from the library. When will I ever learn?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just really want to be BFFs with Mindy so that could be one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much. I just checked out the physical book, Yes Please from the library. I'm wondering if maybe I should just return it and try to get my hands on the audiobook.


    Yay Jim Dale! I kind of want him to come read me every single book I own.

    ReplyDelete

Paperblog