2014 Reading Stats

Monday, December 01, 2014

Reading has been my favorite thing to do for decades. For the past couple of years I have been trying to keep track of what I am reading via goodreads, but hadn't ever really taken a closer look at what it is that I am reading year to year. In an attempt to become a more well-rounded individual I have decided to break down my yearly reading stats (December 1, 2013 - December 1, 2014)


I try to read to Jelly Bean at least three times a day so I'm please to see that we have done a pretty good job of reading a wide-range of books throughout the year. I was also pleased to discover that I may be out of strictly reading YA books. There was a time, about two years ago, where it seemed like just about everything I read could be classified as YA. My goal for next year is to read an equal amount of YA and Adult level books. I would also like to keep reading lots of books to my Jelly Bean.

This year I made a conscious effort to try to read some more nonfiction. I'm actually slightly surprised that I read as much as I did. My goal for this next year is to make an effort to read at least 12 nonfiction books. 

I'm not really surprised that I read so much contemporary fiction since it is my favorite, but I really need to make a more conscious effort to expand my horizons for this next year. I specically would like to read  more historical fiction. There was a time when that was practically all I would read and I just don't think I read enough of it this year.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some great Historical Fiction?

This was something I was just curious about. I really wasn't aware that I read so many books by female authors! I would like to make a better effort to read at least 12 books by a male author in the next year.

Who is your favorite male author?

How on earth did I get through an entire year without listening to one audiobook?! I need to rediscover my love for the audiobook, so tomorrow I'll be sharing 5 of my favorite audiobooks. 

I'm really pleased to see that my Christmas present from last year, my Kindle Paperwhite, got so much love this year! I never once thought that I would love eBooks nearly as much as I do. It is just so convenient to have so many books at your fingertips. I also love that I can finally carry around a thick book without someone asking if I always carry bricks in my purse! 

It was fun to reflect on my year in reading. Even if you only read a handful of books this year, you should definitely take a closer look at what you are reading. You may be surprised to discover that you never venture out of a certain genre or age level. Being aware of your habits can help you venture out of your comfort zone. After all, a well-read individual is an interesting individual.

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. I loved all the graphics you made! They were so practical, and I think they help a lot to analyse one's reading habits. I applaud your efforts for trying to widen your reading horizons, and I admire all the non fiction you got to read, I definitely suck at that and need to try harder next year. Tomorrow I'm doing my top 5 favourite audiobooks of the year. Maybe it could help you with some inspiration to pick up your earphones again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same type of stats, but it won't be until beginning of January, as I'm probably going to read 10 more books this month. Great histfic? I have tons to recommend. Basically look at what I reviewed so far this year - apart from #1, they were all so very good: http://wordsandpeace.com/2014/01/04/historical-fiction-reading-challenge-2014/
    Favorite male author: Haruki Murakami. and well, I have to add one for historical fiction: Bernard Cornwell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great historical fiction - A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, Code Name Verity and Island Beneath the Sea. But those are kind of heavy, so if you want something lighter, try Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn which I LOVED to pieces.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is pretty cool! My favorite historical fiction author is Phillipa Gregory

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Valeria! I'm definitely a visual person so seeing my stats in charts helps me to better understand my reading habits. I think the most important thing to do when branching into nonfiction is to find books that match your interests. I'll check out your post right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the suggestions! I'll probably start with Mistress of Rome and ease my way into some heavier topics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tayler! I'm kind of obsessed with the Tudor period and have had my eye on Gregory's Tudor Court series for awhile. I'm thinking I should probably just read it already! Which Gregory book/series is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm obsessed with the Tudors as well (which is why, for all its historical inaccuracies--I was a history major--I love the show Reign). I like The Boleyn Girl and the Lady of the River

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! What a great idea. Would you mind if I did something similar on my blog? (I would credit you, of course!) Also, I found myself reading a TON of YA this year. Then I started reading adult books by YA authors (e.g. Lauren Oliver, Ann Brashares, etc.). That helped. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Megan! I wouldn't mind that at all. I can't wait to read about your reading habits! That is a great way to ease into adult fiction. I didn't even realize that Lauren Oliver had an adult book. (Something to add to my to-read list!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's brand new! :) Rooms was just released in October.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emma, that's awesome! It's really great to analyze your reading habits. I find that it makes me so much more aware in my reading selection. You weren't kidding when you said you have tons of historical fiction to recommend! I think I'll spend some time with this list to see what jumps out at me! Thank you for the author suggestions as well. :) I just realized that I have 1Q84 on my goodreads TBR list. I'll have to move that up in priority!

    ReplyDelete

Paperblog