Winter Book Challenge: Preliminary List

Monday, November 17, 2014

I love book challenges, but have consistently sucked at actually completing them. I really love that this challenge lasts for a few months (November 1 - February 28)  and that there are points assigned. It's probably the student in me, but knowing that I'm earning points motivates me despite the fact that all I will earn is a pat on the back.


Here is the dealio:

5 points: Freebie! Read any book that fits the general rules.  

How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True was my original choice, but Landline by Rainbow Rowell was calling my name.


10 points: Read a book written by an author who has published at least 10 books 

The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie - I have had this book on my To-Read list for such a long time. I finally bought my own copy a few months ago so I should read it!


10 points: Read a book of short stories.  

The Best of Roald Dahl by Roald Dahl - I love Roald Dahl and have wanted to read his more mature stories for awhile.


10 points: Read a book with a food (not a drink!) in the title. 

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley - I actually don't know much about this book. At the annual library sale a few months ago a random lady recommended it and it was 25 cents so I just went with it.


15 points:Read the first book in a series that is new to you (so no rereads for this one!)

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund - This book was all over the place about a year ago so my husband bought me a copy. I haven't heard about any of the other books in the series.

15 points: Read a book that was originally written in a language that is not your native language. 

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Another score from the annual library sale! This was originally published in Spanish.


15 points: Read a book written by a local author (either an author from your state if you live in the United States, or in your country if you live somewhere else—note: author must be from where you currently live). 

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson - I'm lucky to live in a state full of fairly decent writers. I would say that Sanderson is more than decent. I have been meaning to finish this trilogy for about two years now. I just need to do it already!


20 points: Read a "bookish book" (in which books play an important role, e.g. the setting involves a bookstore or library, a major character is an author, or a book that celebrates reading and books. 

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi - I have been putting off reading this because I want to read the books mentioned at the same time so that I can see the connections better. Only one of the books made it onto this list.


20 points: Read a book with a direction in the title (e.g. north, south, east, west or any combination of those). 

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell - I've heard this is amazing and a few have said they enjoyed North and South more than they enjoyed anything by Jane Austen. 


25 points: Read a book from a genre you don't usually read.  

Luckily for me I read more than one book at a time. I'm not usually a huge fan of memoirs but am in the middle of I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star by Judy Greer.

25 points: Read a book with a song lyric in the title. Be sure to tell us the song name and artist as well! 

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (Lana Del Rey - "Lolita") - See "bookish book" above.


30 points: Read two books with a different meal in each title (e.g. breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper, brunch; update: meals like feast, banquet, picnic will also count, but try not to get too "creative" with your meal words!).

Breakfast with Buddha by Roland Merullo - I hadn't heard of this before today, but it made it onto a few Goodreads favorites lists. This just sounds insightful and fun.
Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard - This sounds like it has the potential to be entertaining and quite possibly delicious.

Winter 2014 To-Read

































I'm really hoping that I'll discover a new favorite or two.

What are your reading plans this winter?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog