5 Things You Shouldn't Forget

Friday, November 07, 2014

I believe that I should consistently try to fill my life light and happiness. I want to feel encouraged and uplifted each and every day. The little book/talk I read earlier this week contains such goodness so why not share?

Forget Me Nots by Uchtdorf
Original Source

President Uchtdorf uses the five petals found on the Forget-me-not flower to remind us of five things we should not forget.

Forget not to be patient with yourself.

We all do it. We see others who appear to have it all and who appear to be so put together and we wish we could be more like them. We are so quick to see what is wrong with us and where we think we are lacking that we don't focus on what is good with us. 

I am definitely guilty of this. I love reading blogs and I love social media, but when I spend too much time focusing on these pictures and stories that others create I forget to see how beautiful my own story is. Instead of focusing on where I'm lacking and beating myself up because I don't have x,y, or z that someone else has, I need to celebrate the good things in my life. As Uchtdorf says, 
". . .we can find wonder and delight in even the tiniest steps in the journey."
One of my favorite things about the month of November is that. because of Thanksgiving, many of us shift our focus to the things that we are grateful for. I always feel so much happier and blessed when I focus on the good in my life so I have been thinking that I should really take some time at the end of the day to acknowledge some of the good things that happened throughout the day.

 

Forget not the difference between a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice.

This is one that I have to keep in mind when it comes to blogging. When I first started it was 2011. My only responsibilities included working 30 hours a week and going to school full-time. Since then I have started a family, bought a house and got myself a grown up job. Uchtdorf says that we can tell the difference between a good and foolish sacrifice by asking ourselves,
"Am I committing my time and energies to the things that matter most?" 

Sure, it would be awesome to be a top blogger who actually earns some money, has a loyal following and once in awhile receives products to try out. For some bloggers this is a good sacrifice as blogging offers some flexibility that an in-office job would not. I have been fortunate enough to already have a flexible job that provides additional income and allows me to focus on my daughter so this needs to be a hobby that I enjoy. I'm already doing what matters most and I need to remember that.

 

Forget not to be happy now.

I have been bad at this my entire life. I spent so much time counting down to major events that I forgot that I should also be enjoying the journey. I have missed out on some really amazing things in my life because I was so focused on a future happiness.

I'm working really hard to not plan and control everything. I need to enjoy my life today because I may not have one tomorrow. I should really have this hanging somewhere I can see it.

 

Forget not the why of the gospel.

There was a time I found myself really wrapped up in the things that other people told me were important. I found myself to be very judgmental as a result and that made me such an ugly person. My crisis of faith helped me to realize that a lot of things deemed important did not actually matter to me.

Why does matter to me is trying my hardest to make this world a better place. I am the biggest introvert ever and it's physically hard for me to put myself out there, however, I really want people to feel like they are important. I want so badly for my interactions to reflect the love that the Savior showed those around him. My goal isn't to convince everyone else that they need to believe in God or any religion. My goal is to make someone else's life better. I want to make others happy.

*Disclaimer: As an introvert I will require some selfish, alone time to recharge.

 

Forget not that the Lord loves you.

I love this quote:
"Wherever you are, whatever your circumstances may be, you are not forgotten. No matter how dark your days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you."
 There have been times in my life where I have felt so alone. Believing that there was at least one person who cared about me helped me overcome those times.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog