I Ain't Afraid of No Ghost!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

I'm a firm believer that we walk daily amongst those who have passed and those who are yet to be here in their physical form. I've had too many experiences to think otherwise. However, I'm a skeptic when people claim that set locations are more haunted than others, especially when such locations are public places. Who really wants to hang out in the basement of a train station all of the time or in a looney bin?

On Friday I decided to visit such a location out of sheer curiosity. My inner ghost hunter was excited at the possibilities. I don't have too many people in my life who would be very intrigued by this particular type of adventure, but I convinced one of my bravest friends to come along to a "Night at the Museum."

Legends of Union Station Ghost Tours
(Link)

Each weekend throughout the month of October the Ogden Union Station takes small groups on ghost tours led by various paranormal groups. We heard all sorts of tales of hauntings and learned a bit about the Station's colorful history as we wandered through the museum in the dark.

I've watched a lot of episodes of Ghost Hunters so I was able to quickly dismiss stories about various orbs captured throughout the building. I also like to think that I have a strong BS detector so I could weed through some "experiences" that I think may have been a tad exaggerated to up the spooky factor.

Overall, it was a fun evening and one particular moment left me with something to think about. I had felt kind of strange as we had wandered in and out of the vault  and throughout the hallway of the basement, but I think a lot of that has to do with the wiring. (As Graham and Jason have often pointed out on Ghost Hunters, older wiring can cause physical symptoms like paranoia due to the high electromagnetic fields.) While in the basement we had the opportunity to use a "spirit box." I can't recall TAPS ever using one of those on the show so I question the validity. The guides claimed that there is a ghost named Steve who likes to move the heavy vault doors and we were going to see if maybe he or another ghost would communicate with us.

The spirit box roared to life and made the loudest, most obnoxious sound. I couldn't help but wonder how we would hear anything over the noise. Furthermore we would have to yell to the ghosts in order to be heard and really, who wants to be yelled at?

The guides asked a few questions and were getting nothing. Then they asked our little group if anyone wanted to ask a question. I realized at that moment that there was only one question I wanted an answer to.

As I have been searching my soul and spending a lot of time evaluating my faith I have found myself thinking a lot about what comes after this life here on Earth. The answer used to be so simple for me. I thought I had a definitive answer but I'm beginning to realize that I'm not so sure anymore. If we really were speaking with someone who had died or even someone who had yet to live then I wasn't going to waste my opportunity. I stepped forward, covered the speaker, and quietly asked, "Are you happy?"

As I stepped back a clear, male voice answered, "Yes."

One of the guides' eyes grew wide and she beckoned me to ask more questions. We heard a few more things that really weren't clear, and we never heard that male voice again, but I didn't really care. I didn't want to pester those spirits that may have been there when I knew that the most important question had already been asked.

I like to think that this was a real experience, that her wide eyes were indicative of genuine surprise. The skeptic in me wonders if it was all set up to make the tour more exciting. Either way it was a fun night.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog