Investing in Series #1

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

These days I find that time is a valuable commodity. I have a really hard time committing to any series these days because I worry that I'll end up feeling like I wasted my precious time. I used to just review individual books in a series, but have decided to start reviewing the series as a whole to better help other decide whether or not they should invest in a particular series.



If I Stay Collection
Books in Series: If I Stay and Where She Went
Release: 2009 | 2011
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile 
Pages: 201 pages | 264 pages
What I expected of this series based on the hype, cover, and synopsis.

The first book was added to my TBR in way back when in 2011. I went into this thinking that I would need a box full of tissues in order to make it through. For some strange reason I thought this book was about a girl with cancer. Yeah, no. The trailer opened my eyes and I realized that this was actually about a girl who is in a coma and the entire book deals with her trying to decide if she should wake or not. It's a heavy topic.

I knew nothing about the second book prior to reading it. I just knew that I had slightly enjoyed If I Stay, so that seemed a good enough reason to read the Where She Went. The title made so much more sense to me once I discovered that Mia's boyfriend, Adam, is narrating. I really like that this author likes to explore the voices of various characters.
 
My thoughts on the series.

The concept of If I Stay was really interesting to me. I can't even begin to imagine having to make that sort of decision at any age, but especially at seventeen. The way Mia bases her decision ended up feeling too simplistic to me and that was ultimately my biggest issue with the book. Where She Went wasn't nearly as interesting to me. I didn't particularly care about Adam and his viewpoint. I had merely picked up the book to find out what happened after Mia's decision and I was slightly disappointed.
Was this worth my time?

I haven't read Just One Year yet, but I have a feeling that the Just One Day Collection is Forman's stronger work. This is not a complete waste of time, but also not the strongest investment.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Paperblog