2012 End of Year Book Survey

Sunday, December 30, 2012

best books read in 2012Jamie over at The Perpetual Page-Turner is hosting her 3rd annual End of Year Book Survey.
Note: The survey is for books you read and is not limited to just books that came out in 2012!!
NEW THIS YEAR: Anyone who links up by January 10th will be in the running to win a book of their choice that they saw on mine or somebody else’s list and want to read!!

1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
Yikes. The best book?! I've read over 80 books this year so this is really hard, but I refuse to break it down.  A lot of books were really incredible, but few left me wishing for more. I hereby declare The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter the best book read in 2012. It took me to another world where I never ceased to be surprised and entertained. It really had everything I wanted.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs definitely disappointed me. I think that was due to the fact that I assumed it was going to be creepy and it just wasn't. My expectations were all off. 
I was also really disappointed by The Unbecoming of MaraDyer by Michelle Hodkin. This book had major potential to be amazing and it just fell flat for me. 

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?  
Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins came out of nowhere for me. I thought I cover was just awful and I doubted that I would enjoy the story. I was so very wrong!

 4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
I think I recommended I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak to just about everyone I came in contact with this year. I love the whole concept of this book!

 5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
Well that's easy since my favorite book of this year is the beginning of a series! I LOVE The Goddess Test series by Aimee Carter! I haven't yet read the novellas that have been released but should be reading them shortly.

 6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
I read almost nothing but new-to-me authors this year and enjoyed just about all of them. I think I could list those that I did not like. (Cassandra Clare comes to mind.)

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Thanks to my husband I attempt to read at least one book he has enjoyed (fantasy, science fiction and more out of my comfort zone). This year he made me read The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson. I didn't read too many out of my comfort zone, so this wins by default, but it really was a good book.

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Abandonby Meg Cabot. She is so incredibly talented at making her books exciting and unputdownable! Almost every single chapter ends on a cliffhanger that makes you want more!

 9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
I really hate re-reading books at this point in my life. Life is just too short and there are way too many books to read! However, if I weren't so anti-re-read I could see myself reading Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen again. (Review not yet up.)

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?


I love this cover! The book was disappointing but this cover is so cool. It's actually the reason I read the book in the first place!

11. Most memorable character in 2012? 
Ed Kennedy from I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak. I love Ed Kennedy. . .that is all. 

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
To be honest, I'm not so sure that I read anything that I would classify as beautifully written. Most of what I read was nice and fluffy. Maybe next year I'll have an answer.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012? 
The Last Shot by Darcy Frey had a huge impact on me this year. I can't even really put into words the way it made me feel and the fire it ignited within me. I'm still not quite sure what I'm going to do about it, but that fire is there and I know that once I figure out my path I will have the passion to follow through.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read? 
Basically every Meg Cabot book that was published prior to this year. I really need to keep better track of what she is writing and releasing! 

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012? 
I read Committed shortly before I was married in August. It was such a fantastic book and left me with a lot to think about. Below is one of my favorite passages:
“People always fall in love with the most perfect aspects of each other’s personalities. Who wouldn’t? Anybody can love the most wonderful parts of another person. But that’s not the clever trick. The really clever trick is this: Can you accept the flaws? Can you look at your partner’s faults honestly and say, ‘I can work around that. I can make something out of it.’? Because the good stuff is always going to be there, and it’s always going to pretty and sparkly, but the crap underneath can ruin you.”

 16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012? 
LongestThe Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson (763 pages. . . geesh!)
ShortestThe Caldecott Chronicles: Excerpt No. 1 by R.G. Bullet

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
I'm still reeling over the end of Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter! What the WHAT?!

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
I really LOVE the relationship between America Singer (hate that name!) and Aspen in The Selection by Kiera Cass. I cannot wait to see how that progresses as the contest continues. I hope they won't be driven apart!

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen is up there for my favorite Dessen book. I loved the entire town of Colby and felt so invested in everything going on!

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
I picked up Wanderloveby Kristen Hubbard based off a review. . .does that count?

 Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 (optional)

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012? 
I discovered a TON of book blogs in the past couple of months, mainly because I determined that was the direction I wanted to take my Hopeful Happiness. I'm not sure that any in particular are standing out as of right now.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?
 I really enjoyed revisiting The Giver. This was one of the first reviews written during the transition and I just love that it incorporates a lot of me and my excitement for the novel. Plus fashion is fun!

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I didn't really have a ton of discussion. I have really loved hearing everyone's thoughts during cover offs!

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
 I have really loved reading on so many blogs about whether or not the book world needs a rating system. At first I thought that it wouldn't be such a terrible idea, but there are some very good points from both sides so now I'm just not quite sure.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I really love my weekly Cover Off! I judge many a book by their cover because I think they have the potential to say so much about the contents. It's fun to see how different people around the world interpret a story with the cover.

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
Realizing that I really wanted to focus my blogging on books. Hopeful Happiness was all over the place prior to August.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

Figures.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I wish that more people would participate in the weekly Cover Off, but it's still really new so I have hope that someday it will happen.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Edelweiss! This has helped me gain access to some awesome ARCs! 

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I had one goal. I wanted to read 100 books, but fell a tad short with 86. I have a goal to continue to work toward 100 in 2013. I'll be thrilled with even 90! One day though 100 books read will be reached.

Looking Ahead…

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
I just finished reading a Dessen book so right now I'm really looking forward to The Moon and More.

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
I would LOVE to get a good rhythm going with writing and publishing posts. I'm working right now to get a tad more ahead of myself with at least reviews. I want to comment more on other blogs and just become more in touch with the book blogging community! I'm also planning on going to the Power Reader day at BEA! 

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. We have the same book that we're looking forward to! (my list is going up tomorrow) I freaking love Sarah Dessen so I love seeing her on anyone's favourites lists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite cover was also a disappointing read, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you hate when that happens! Such a bummer.

      Delete

Paperblog