The One Where I Climb a Freakin Mountain

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Yesterday morning I woke myself up at five to climb this beast:


Her name is Mount Olympus and she is a troll. This is not THE Mount Olympus where the Gods reside but just a huge mountain in Utah where locals and tourists attempt to catch the best views of the valley.

I convinced my sister she should come with because I just knew the group I was going with would be a bunch of climbing beasts and I would just slow them down. Turns out I was right. 

What I didn't count on was the fact that my sister seems to operate on 3 speeds, granny with a walker slow, kind of slow and then at the last minute she pulls a sprint out of nowhere. 

Here is what I knew about Mount Olympus before I went. Mount Olympus is a hike that takes you up to about 9,032 feet in elevation. If you want to actually complete the 9,032 feet you have to climb this.

Before I made this journey I thought a scramble was a tricky trail with some rocks. There is nothing more discouraging than climbing all freakin' day only to reach this and realize you don't really know how to get up there. I kept hoping someone would come along who knew what they were doing so we could copy them, but alas, no such luck. This was the highest view I got at about 8,532 feet. 



I can't say I reached the top. Nor can I say I climbed in record time. However, I can say that overall  I had a blast. I have never seen such beautiful sights or smelled such amazing smells. I want whatever plant was up there that smelled so incredible. 

Here are some of the views I had the pleasure of enjoying.



If you look closely you can see a couple of butterflies.


Overall, I am extremely proud of myself for making it as far as I did. I met so many nice people along the trail and had a fantastic day pretending to be a mountaineer. I'll probably try it again in a couple of years when my legs stop aching.

If you plan on hiking this beast I would strongly advise you bring a pair of trekking poles, but have a good place to store them if you attempt the scramble. I would also advise that you bring AT LEAST 2 liters of water. Trust me, you're going to need it. One last piece of advice? It's not a race. Slow down and look around you because if you are only focusing on the trail you will miss so much both in nature and in the hikers around you. (I wonder if my group noticed anything? Like the weird looking bees and a salamander. I'm thinking not so much.)

Until Next Time, 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Wow! Mount Olympus looks so pretty! I've always wanted to try climbing a mountain, however, I think the stair climber at the gym will have to suffice for now. Great pictures :)

    ReplyDelete

Paperblog