Ya'll Ready for This?

Sunday, February 13, 2011

First off, thank you all for the feedback! It's nice to know you are ready for the bumpy ride ahead! I spent a couple of hours today pondering what I will tackle next. I'm not quite ready to leave Giada. Although I will have to kick her to the curb soon....she requires white wine and if I get caught with that in my apartment I will be homeless and I haven't had time to think through what my sign will say.

TUESDAY:
Pan Fried Meatloaf in Tricolor Peppers
Recipe courtesy Sunny Anderson

Ingredients
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground turkey
2 slices white bread, cut into cubes
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes with basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped sage leaves, plus 6 to 8 whole leaves, for frying
A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
A few dashes hot sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon oil
Vegetable oil, for frying
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Remove core and seeds from peppers. Slice into 1 inch rings and place on nonstick baking sheet. You should get about 3 rings per pepper. In a large bowl mix together beef, turkey, bread, 1/2 cup of the tomatoes, garlic, egg, onion, chopped sage, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Press meatloaf mixture evenly into pepper rings. In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. Saute meatloaf rings on both sides until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Add remaining tomatoes to skillet and bake until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1-inch vegetable oil until a deep-fry thermometer reaches 325 degrees F. Drop sage leaves into oil and fry until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Garnish meatloaf rings with fried sage leaves.



That doesn't look so delicious to me, but I love bell peppers! They are seriously the most delicious things on the planet! However, in the past, meatloaf and I have not gotten along. This seems to combine what I love and hate so I'm hoping for an explosion of deliciousness on my tongue Tuesday night. We shall see....

I'm thinking about having some corn on the side and maybe something else. Time for some more pondering.


Thursday:
Chicken Piccata
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients
2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Directions
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.

Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.




This looks really delicious in the picture and, for the most part, I enjoy lemon. Plus, it's Giada and we are like this....*fingers crossed demonstrating how tight we are*....

I am thinking about pairing this with some aspergus and some sort of rice, maybe cheesy but mostly undecided on this. (P.S. This is what I am making my Tom for our late Valentine/Anniversary dinner. Chocolate covered strawberries will be the dessert!)


Any suggestions for sides? What do you think about these recipes? Do they sound appealing or more like roadkill? Let me know!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Your blog makes me way too hungry. Every time i hop on my blog it's like, "COME EAT..." I like it though and it seems you have found some good yums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eric! I hope to inspire you to plump up :)

    ReplyDelete

Paperblog